Tuesday 13 January 2009

Wycombe Winter Night Shelter

I went to the WWNS tonight. I was very apprehensive about visiting: I didn’t want to be a spectator. But I was surprised by the welcome.



I was met by Mark, star of the WWNS YouTube video who was the first visitor to the shelter in 2008. He is now no longer homeless and is helping out at the shelter this year. I met Ali who does some of the organisation. I also met some of the volunteers who were manning the centre tonight. They have seven different locations - one for each day of the week. Monday is at the Friends Meeting House in London Road. It’s a big operation: they cook an meal (tonight was lasagne) and four volunteers stay overnight taking shifts. The morning shift gets breakfast and clears up ready to move on to the next location.

I came away moved by the commitment of the volunteers and pleased that we can help in a small way.

Here’s the WWNS video. Watch it. You’ll be surprised.







Want to help?

No comments: