Thursday 26 February 2009

Day 2 - Thursday 26 February


We had pancakes tonight - a little late but that’s the way of Little Hampden: our millennium tree was planted in about 2003. We didn’t invite neighbours round - but we did have a village lunch last weekend with more than 40 present. Neither did we use the microwave (I think microwaving pancakes would be a challenge)


Bottled water

Here’s something for tomorrow: Tearfund suggests forgoing bottled water. We have for many years kept a couple of bottles in the fridge. We fill them with tapwater, leave an air gap and allow them to stand for 24 hours or more. The chlorine comes out into the space above, leaving water that tastes better than bottled water and is much cleaner. One set of tests of 51 samples of bottled water only found 2 that had the same level of bacteria as that required of tap water - 2 bacteria per millilitre. One sample had 188,000 per ml. And there are the millions of plastic bottles to be recycled. I suggest you try it.

3 comments:

Helen said...

Daaay 2 (Think Big Brother when you read that!)
Hmmm, use the microwave and not a conventional oven. Well, this is my kind of cooking.....! And I know exactly what I'm heating up - yep, it's the leftover soup from the Environmental discussion!
The microwave in our kitchen doesn't see much action apart from the odd bowl of porridge and as we bought it some years ago, we've been worried that it could leak microwaves? I understand there are ways to find this out - I'll be back later after I've researched it?!

rosie said...

I always struggle with Lent. It seems to me that it has a sort of self-selecting dynamic. Those folk who are already pretty introspective and prone to self-denial go for it big time and only end up feeling even worse and more guilty, and those who have a more 'life is for living' attitude don't even notice it is happening. By temperement I'm in the later category, but have a sneaky feeling that as a vicar I'm supposed to be in the former.

Helen said...

OK - one website suggests you do the following to see if your microwave is safe......
Put a mobile phone into microwave oven, close door and use another phone to ring it - if phone can be heard then the microwave door isn't sealed properly and it could be leaking microwaves...? As I suspected - I could hear my phone! Though that was after I switched it from "silent" mode - doh!