Thursday 26 February 2009

Day 3 - Friday 27 February




Not an action in the book but I think this counts: I visited Stony Dean school in Amersham where the Young Enterprise Team Programme company ‘Stony Dean Bizzy Bees’ have been making prototype holding crosses. We have run out of these in the Church and it seemed a good opportunity to involve the YE company. They have a stock of hardwood and the teacher cuts the cross outlines on the bandsaw then the company directors finish them. It’s more labour-intensive than the first thought but they believe they can achieve the 70-100 we need in a year. The directors were keen to commit and, as you can see, were working hard to finish the first few in time for our first use: a baptism in March.

They are keen to visit the Church to deliver their crosses and see where they’ll be put to use. I’ll keep you posted.







2 comments:

Helen said...

On the bottle it says: "This pure water has trickled down from the Highlands and has been filtered by the ancient limestone and is bottled for your pleasure" - sounds good and as I'm a sucker for marketing I've always popped a pack of 6 bottles in my shopping trolley. Well, that was until I realised the amount of bottles I was recycling! So, for many months I have been using one of these and have been filling up from the tap - http://www.camelbak.com/index.cfm . In 5 weeks the bottle has paid for itself and I'm not adding to landfill.

Helen said...

David - what a great way to engage with the community. I wouldn't mind purchasing one of the hand crosses?