Thursday 18 December 2008

Wednesday 17th December - Neighbours

I'm not sure what the message is today: the body of Stephen's suggests that we are all doing our own thing, but he then goes on to talk about networks - particularly the 21st century ones on the internet. He implies that we don't know each other very well but I don't agree. I think the extent to which we communicate informally with friends these days brings us much closer than previously. OK we don't have the wonderful long well-written letters of old and I don't expect to see published e-mail exchanges much less messenger chats but we do communicate much more frequently. I chat with my daughter several times a week - we'd never phone each other as often but because one of us sees the other on the computer we chat. These modern communications break down national and time zone barriers, too. One of my IT friends has a son and grandchildren in the Antipodes: I've just installed a webcam so that they can see each other as well as talk.

On today's actions: I did try to meet some of my new neighbours today. There are only thirty properties on the neighbourhood watch list so most of us in Little Hampden know each other very well. However, we have some new residents so I thought I'd call while delivering invitations to the Carol Service on Sunday. I failed: no one was in. Perhaps I'll try again at the weekend.

The point about only meeting kindred spirits was brought home to me a few years ago when I was having a final drink with some of my team before leaving a big project at work: it suddenly struck me that the people I had recruited were all very similar. We worked very well as a team but I wonder if it would have been even better had we been a different mix. I'm not sure that Stephen's point that Church is the only place where a mixture of people meet is right: maybe they have different backgrounds but they have a lot more in common than just their belief.

One neighbourly experience today was at a different level. The Church is trying to extend it's good relationships with one of its neighbours, The Misbourne School. Tonight the School held its Christmas Concert in the Church. It was great: the pupils showed a range of musical talent of the highest level, supported by very committed and caring staff. I was impressed by the serious confidence with which all the students performed: from singers in the choir to the Jazz Band and Funk Band. I spent the interval talking to the headteacher... oh dear, kindred spirits again. I'll have to work on this.

Tomorrow: family

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All the suggestion from the bishop have been thought provoking, some difficult. Some random thoughts -I went to our grandson's first christmas play, not a nativity but the story of Ralph the reindeer (Rudolf had a cold) very serious but delightfully performed by a class of 4 yr olds. I was told about a little girl who told her granny that she was in the school nativity play but quite disgusted that they doing the same story as last yr! Thanks to email we are able to send greetings to friends in Australia in time for Christmas having missed the postal date. I have to make lists of what I have to do each day, regretfully, I am very behind with my New Daylight readings which is usually my quiet moment of the day. Must make more effort! People are kind and generous, I was in the church office on Monday and people were bringing in presents for the Old Tea Warehouse, Jane was delighted with the response.