Wednesday 3 December 2008

What do I really want?

This is difficult particularly when looking at the range in Stephen’s book - from the prosaic (a jar of stem ginger) to the extensive (end of poverty, peace in the middle east) I’ve failed today to find a few quiet minutes to think about this but it’s been on my mind all day. Quite a few things that I could be wishing for seem to befalling into place: we seem to be slowly building relationships with local schools and a meeting this evening went very well. The photocopier in the office has died, however, but in the scheme of things this is nearer to stem ginger than anything.

I was reminded of some work I did some time ago when there was a big emphasis on quality. We spent lots of time and effort trying to improve the quality of everything we did and establishing processes to ensure this continued. One strong message was that we should only consider changing things that were already under our control: it’s all very well saying ‘if only x would do things better...’ but that doesn’t achieve anything. So where does this leave me?

Tomorrow: family and friends

1 comment:

rosie said...

I found this one really difficult -the personal bit. I think I'd like to manage my energy well enough to enjoy the ordinary things -the meals and books and music -without falling asleep. For the world it has to be peace and justice, but for our own area I'm thinking about contentment. Even with all the trails of a recession we can manage fine and
we'd be happier if valued that.