Monday 2 March 2009

Monday 2nd March

Not much Lenten activity today. I've resisted the energy check (see Helen's comments) because I know we should fix roof insulation in the house but the rest is pretty difficult: no cavity walls in the old part (the extension we built when we moved in is well insulated). We have a complete range of windows from an original blacksmith's leaded light to double-glazed new windows. We've got secondary glazing on all the windows that aren't modern. But we do have a log-burning stove in the lounge - I think that's renewable, at least it is unless everyone starts chopping down trees for fuel.

One of the blessings of the day was the countryside: the green is just showing in the fields and catkins are out on lots of the trees.

Tomorrow we're meeting the friend I made contact with in December as a result of Stephen Cottrell's suggestion not just to write on Christmas Cards 'we must meet next year' - we have arranged to meet, and I hope we'll do so again during the year.

5 comments:

rosie said...

Today's suggestion was to do a chore or errand for a member of your household. Funny -I came over all feminists -does that mean as well as all the shopping, cooking, tidying up and cleaning? Must be more gracious -I'll sew on my son's missing buttons -does that count I wonder.

Helen said...

Well it's day 6 and I must admit I have only just checked what I am challenged to do today....! My excuse, as ever, is work and planning an event in June that will see 1000 children take to their bikes at school! Phew, a hard task, so I'm pretty much up for anything after that! So imagine my delight when I found out I only had to make a call to the Energy Savings Trust on 0800 512 012 or to look at their website: www.energysavingtrust.co.uk in order for me to get a Home Energy Check. Tearfund report that 28 per cent of the UK’s carbon dioxide emissions comes from energy use to run our homes. So will do this later and report back.....

Helen said...

Hmmm - back again! The Energy Home Check took around 20 mins and was pretty easy to do.
The report was emailed immediately in pdf format and was around 6 pages long! At Dairy Cottage, we could save £300 on year on our energy bills doing the following:
* Up grading to a thicker loft insulation - a saving of £23 and 0.1 tonne of carbon per year.
* Cavity Wall insulation- a saving of £250 and 1.6 tonne of carbon per year.
* Boiler and control upgrade - a saving of £27 and 0.1 tonne of carbon per year.
Not a total surprise and will do some research on how much all the above would cost and will work out the pay back time.

A well worth exercise - GO ON DO IT! You know it makes sense....!

Helen said...

Rosie - sewing buttons definitely counts and I'm with you 100% on the feminist front. (Though that isn't appropriate for our household!)

David said...

I was worried by the 'Do a chore' suggestion, too. Perhaps taking on something that other members of the household normally do would be better.

And perhaps Rosie should leave the book somewhere conspicuous so that someone else will pick up the shopping, cooking...