Thursday 12 March 2009

Thursday 12 March - Walk


'Walk or cycle a route you would normally drive' it said: I had to go up to Church and to the Misbourne school this afternoon so I drove to the Church, and left the car there. I walked down the footpath and over the open area next to the Abbey. I crossed the Misbourne (stream) on the bridge which, according to a notice on the path is a Victorian cast-iron bridge. I tried to find pictures of this on Google tonight but without luck. I'll take my camera next time. Not only was this greener than driving, it was a very pleasant walk.



Talking of green: Brenda has given me a book ' Shades of Green' by Paul Waddington. As the title implies, it gives varying degrees of greenness for a whole range of products and activities. I've only dipped into it so far but have been fascinated by some of the entries. A few examples:



Courgettes: Deep green is no courgettes because they have little nutritional value and are normally imported. Pale green is organic courgettes from Europe in spring and autumn only.



Bicycles: Quite green is a steel bike - better than aluminium because less energy is used in manufacture and they last longer. Not even a bit green - nothing: all bikes are green.



Coffee: Deep green is fairtrade, organic, shade-grown coffee. Dark green is dandelion-root coffee - but this has no caffeine. Not even a little bit green is decaffeinated instant coffee.



I think I'll be returning to this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Today must've been a day for exercise - David's walk and my cycle ride to Beaconsfield to the homeopathic vet!(I hasten to add, I left the cat in question at home, but had to collect some drops!) I took the scenic route using the lanes and had a fine time! Covering around 20 miles and felt great afterwards. Though the lanes have suffered from the snow and I had to keep dodging large potholes! My charity has set up this website - www.fillthathole.org.uk. Must get reporting!

Day 16 action:
Tearfund suggest doubling up journeys: do shopping on your way home from work, school or somewhere else you have to go today. Sharing lifts with friends or try to do all your errands together.
A very sensible idea and I can honestly say I do this already - sorry to sound so smug? In fact as I have use of the car tomorrow and I'll be doing several errands on my way home from work.

Helen

Anonymous said...

Interesting book - I'm about to order on from Amazon.


Now, I especially like this...
Bicycles: Quite green is a steel bike - better than aluminium because less energy is used in manufacture and they last longer. Not even a bit green - nothing: all bikes are green.

I have 2 steel bikes, but I'm wondering how green my carbon one is?

Helen